Connect with us

Entertainment

Self-driving bus involved in crash less than two hours after Las Vegas launch

Published

on

A truck driver is blamed for the accident, but passengers say it could have been avoided if the autonomous vehicle had only reversed

 Self-driving bus company says vehicle safe following crash – video

It took less than two hours for Las Vegas’s brand new self-driving shuttle to end up in a crash on Wednesday – thanks to a human.
The autonomous bus made its debut on public roads around the so called Innovation District in downtown Las Vegas in front of cameras and celebrities, dubbed America’s first self-driving shuttle pilot project geared toward the public. But within two hours it had already been involved in a minor crash with a lorry. No injuries were reported.
Jenny Wong, a passenger on the shuttle at the time of the crash, told local news station KSNV: “The shuttle just stayed still. And we were like, it’s going to hit us, it’s going to hit us. And then it hit us.
“The shuttle didn’t have the ability to move back. The shuttle just stayed still.”
Las Vegas police officer Aden Ocampo-Gomez said the truck’s driver was at fault for the crash and was cited for illegal backing.
“The shuttle did what it was supposed to do, in that its sensors registered the truck and the shuttle stopped to avoid the accident,” the city said in a statement. “Unfortunately the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle. Had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle has, the accident would have been avoided.”
The oval-shaped shuttle can seat up to eight people and has an attendant and computer monitor, but no steering wheel or brake pedals. Developed by French company Navya, it uses GPS, electronic kerb sensors and other technology to find its way at no more than 15mph.
Before it crashed, dozens of people had lined up to get a free trip on a 0.6-mile loop around Fremont East, Las Vegas, including Nascar driver Danica Patrick and magic duo Penn and Teller. City spokesman Jace Radke said the shuttle took two more loops after the crash.
The year-long pilot project, sponsored by AAA Northern California, Nevada and Utah, is expected to carry 250,000 people. The AAA said human error was responsible for more than 90% of the 30,000 deaths on US roads in 2016, and that robotic cars could help reduce the number of incidents.
Google sibling Waymo announced on Tuesday that it is launching a fully autonomous Uber-like ride-hailing service with no human driver behind the wheel in Phoenix, Arizona in the next few months, making it the first such service accessible to the public without no one to take control in an emergency.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Emir of Kano’s singer arrested in Nigeria

Published

on

By

 

emir of kano singer

Naziru Ahma sings in Hausa and is the chief musician for the Emir of Kano

A popular singer in northern Nigeria has been arrested. He was taken away by officers from his home in Kano city on Wednesday evening.

Naziru Ahmad is the latest performer to be detained by the authorities in what seems to be a crackdown on artists who are seen as critical of the state administration.

Ahmad is the chief musician in the court of the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, who has fallen out with the governor of Kano state.

This is a clip of one of his songs in the Hausa language in which he praises the emir, one of the most influential spiritual and traditional leaders in the country’s largely Muslim north.

But the governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, seems determined to quash the emir’s influence. Earlier this year he divided the land of the historic Kano emirate into five sections – leaving the emir in charge of just one part.

Kano state police spokesperson Abdullahi Haruna confirmed Ahmad’s arrest without giving details of the allegations or charges.

Several other musicians have recently either been jailed or are facing trial for allegedly defaming Mr Ganduje in their songs.

It is causing a lot of anxiety in the large entertainment industry in northern Nigeria, much of it based in Kano city, with some saying the arrests are a threat to their freedom of speech.

BBC

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

EPL: 4 Manchester United players who are against Mourinho revealed

Published

on

By

A clique of four Manchester United players, have fallen out of favour with manager Jose Mourinho, according to the Daily Mail.

Paul Pogba, Anthony Martial, Eric Bailly and Marcus Rashford are the players said to be involved.

Rashford showed his unhappiness, when he kicked a dressing room door at Turf Moor, after being sent off against Burnley last weekend.

Mourinho is under pressure at Old Trafford, after United started the season with two defeats from their opening three games, their worst start to a campaign since 1992.

The United boss still retains the support of the majority of United fans, many of whom have turned against the club’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, following the club’s disappointing summer in the transfer market.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

What Cristiano Ronaldo Earns At Juventus (Photos)

Published

on

By

Cristiano Ronaldo – The former Real Madrid star is reportedly earning more than three times the amount of the second highest-paid player, Gonzalo Higuain.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the highest-paid player in Serie A and earns three times more than anyone else in Italy’s top-flight, according to a report published by Tuttosport.

The Portuguese star has been the big talking point in Italy since his €100m (£88m/$117m) move to the Bianconeri in the summer.

Juve have a perfect record after their first three games of the season, but Ronaldo is yet to score a goal for his new team and has attracted criticism for his failure to find the net thus far.

Despite his failure to score, it comes as no surprise that Ronaldo is top of the rankings when it comes to earnings, but the wage gap between the Juventus star and the rest of the league is quite astonishing.

Italian newspaper Tuttosport have revealed the wages of all Serie A players, with the 33-year-old taking home far more than any of his team-mates or rivals.

Ronaldo is earning an incredible €31 million (£28m/$36m) per season in Turin and is on a four-year deal with the reigning Serie A champions.

Not only is the five-time Ballon d’Or and Champions League winner by far the biggest earner in the league, but he earns more than three times as much as anyone else.

Gonzalo Higuain, who joined AC Milan from Juve after Ronaldo arrived in Turin, is the next best paid, raking in €9.5 million (£9m/$11m) per season.

After Higuain, it is fellow Argentine attacker and Juventus star Paulo Dybala on €7m (£6m/$8m), with Miralem Pjanic not far behind on €6.5m.

Unsurprisingly, Juventus’ wage budget is far greater than any other teams in the division.

Massimiliano Allegri’s men are currently spending €219m (£197m/$253m) per season on player salaries alone, while AC Milan are next as they hand out €140m (£126m/$162m) per year.

Roma are third, with their spending reaching €116m and €100m (£90m/$116m) respectively.

Empoli are the lowest spending team in the league with expenses of just €16m a season.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Danngnews Designed by Raymytech